Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Envy, Self Righteousness and Pity

I am familiar with Envy—you might even say that Envy is a friend of mine. It’s not that I want to envy, it’s just that I often do. I don’t want to be friends, but we have spent so much time together over the years that it seems Envy has its own comfortable chair in the living room of my heart. Over the last little while, however, Envy has been somewhat uncomfortable in my heart. It seems as though my developing relationship with Pity keeps Envy from coming around so often.
For most of my life I have been a comparatively good boy. This may surprise some. Those of you who know about my rather rough childhood and adolescence may wonder: “can anything good come out of foster care?” I have, by God’s grace, largely been a coward. I have looked at all of the evil and wonderfully enticing prodigalities that dangled before me with so many promises of delight, power, or intimacy, and I just couldn’t get up the guts to risk the evident pain that was often the price for such indulgences. I liked being safe, even if it was boring. But that didn’t keep me from envying those who went for the gusto.
Self Righteousness and Envy are buddies. I didn’t drink or do drugs—I was too intelligent, I saw were they led. Yet those who indulged seemed to be cool, seemed to have so many friends, and I so often felt left out. Even in my group, the religious kids, the celebrities were the ones who returned from the prodigal life, the ones with the I-was-trapped-in-the-party-scene testimony. I was so envious that I sometimes construed the one time I really got high as a life of debauchery just so I would have a good testimony.
Perhaps as a response to this envy, I began more and more to feel anger toward those who couldn’t just say no: “sure it’s tough, but I did it, so you can too.” Stories of death by overdose or multiple abortions or suicide following yet another failed intimate relationship evoked no pity in me, just a cold confirmation that the wage of sin is death and a confirmation that I had been right in not taking such paths. I was angry with those who fell away from the faithful: they were now the cowards, they couldn’t hack righteousness, they succumbed—those idiots!
Of course, these thoughts were always mixed with other thoughts. They were mixed with a sense of fear that I too might succumb. If Pastor X, whom I really thought was a man of God, ran off with the secretary, I too might someday meet my nemesis and I too would fair just a badly. Anger was a coping device. Somehow as long as I was angry at the failures of others, I felt safe.
I was mostly unaware of the dynamic of self-righteous envy at work in me until about two years after I became Orthodox. One of my very best friends, a deacon and our head chanter, began suffering from gout. He was a salesman by trade, and in order to keep emotionally “up” (to make enough sales to support his wife and four small children) because of the pain caused by the gout, he began abusing prescription pain drugs. With the abuse came a mental breakdown that eventually led to his abandoning his family and soon death by overdose. I was angry with him beyond words.
Early on, the bishop met with the other clergy in the parish to discuss how we might best reach out to our prodigal deacon and his family. In this conversation I expressed how angry I was with him. The bishop’s response shocked me. I expected him to understand my anger and try to comfort me (It seems self-righteous envy is really all about me, even in the face of the terrible suffering of others). Instead of comforting words, His Grace said (and here I paraphrase), “How dare you be angry! Your friend needs your love and prayers now more than ever.” The shock was like a slap in my face. His words have become for me over the last twelve years a kind of criterion by which I have come to judge my inner life: “how dare you be angry.”
Slowly I have begun to look at sin and righteousness differently. In fact, it might be more accurate to say that I have come to look at sin and righteousness much less. Instead, I have begun more and more to look at human pain. People hurt. They hurt themselves and they hurt others. Some try to cope with their pain through sin (which leads most obviously to death), others through self righteousness (leading to alienation, a kind of hell on earth), but few find their way clear to the Father’s love. Few find their way to the light yoke of Christ: the burden of bearing one another’s burdens, not your own.
Righteousness and sin have not gone away. I just don’t relate to myself, my friends or God in those terms so much anymore. Instead, I try to let my heart be filled with the pain of those around me (bearing their burden). I believe this is called pity. I am not very good at this, so I can’t say were this will lead, but so far my experience has two distinct features. First, pity makes me pray. When I feel the pain of others, it hurts, sometimes a lot. All I can do with the pain is take it to God—offer it to God with the words repeated over and over again, “Lord have mercy.” The second thing is that I think about myself much less, whether I am right or wrong, sinning or not. And the funny thing is that I also don’t think very much about the rightness or wrongness of the person whom I pity. I just feel some of his pain, I carry a little of his burden; I say, Lord have mercy, and somehow God has mercy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog post here after scouring google for answers.
My sister who has turned away from her faith had an abortion. I have been feeling so much anger and pain and sorrow. It's like my world is crumbling.
We talked finally and she said that living under my heavy handed moral justice was suffocating her. I said I was so sad for her and what she's going through and she told me my self righteous pity was disgusting.

I've been trying to figure out what to do. How do I look at her and not see a murderer? Is my moral stance wrong somehow? She doesn't believe a baby is a person, but I do and I am feeling so much grief.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, relating back to your post, I pity her but maybe I'm doing it wrong? Can pity hurt a person? Can pity be self righteous?

Fr. Michael said...

Dear Anonymous,
"He who is without sin may cast the first stone" The child is in God's hands now, but your sister is still partly in your hands. That she felt such things is partly your fault. You also are partly responsible for murder. We are all broken, we are all murderers—or contributors to murder in that we do not love in such a way that makes others feel safe. Yes, she made choices—but so have you. It's just that it is easier to draw the line between choice and consequence in some cases (the woman caught in adultery) than in others (the men who wanted to stone her; the men who created the context, culture and environment that drove that woman to adultery). When you see yourself also as a murderer, then it is easy to love a murderer without self righteousness.

Anonymous said...

I've read and re read this response throughout the day today - and it is exactly the answer I needed.
I can see that this is the understanding I was missing. Thank you for helping me.
God bless you.